Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Blobby Volley Unity Remake Beta Released

The first beta version of the game is out! To play it, be sure to join the Blobby Volley Beta Testers group on Google+ and then register for testing on Google Play. Make sure to leave me some feedback afterwards.

Blobby Volley screenshot

Here's what I've done so far:

  • I created a Bitbucket repository
  • I created a basic game scene with a background, a net, a ball and two players
  • I added basic physics to the scene as well as special physics for the ball and players
  • I created a keyboard controller and a touch controller for the players
  • I added ball and player shadows
  • I handled respawning the ball when it hits the ground
For a more complete list of features done, in progress and pending, see the Trello board. I'll be keeping it up to date, so you can follow the progress more closely.

It took me 20h to create the current version of the game. I'm still learning Unity on the way, so it's probably slower than it would take a more skilled programmer, but I'm happy about the result nonetheless. I use Toggl to track my work time. I quite like the tool so far and I see a lot of new features added since I last used it four years ago.
Here's what I'll be working on next:
  • I'll add ball hitting sounds and whistles when the ball hits the ground
  • I'll add different player controllers, so you can use the one that suits you
  • I'll fix the bug causing the ball to start falling when a player gets close to it but doesn't touch it
  • I'll add player animations
  • I'll add an indicator pointing at the ball when it's off the screen
For a more complete list, go to the Trello board.

Once again, I encourage you to become a beta tester if you haven't done it already. I know the game is still in its early stages, but I'll be grateful for any feedback you give me.

The next update will come at the beginning of April, so in more than a week. Until then, I hope you have fun playing and are as excited for more features as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment