Monday, January 13, 2014

Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems on Coursera

I just wanted to let you know that there's another Android course on Coursera called
Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems. It's targeted at more advanced students than the one I wrote about previously: Creative, Serious and Playful Science of Android Apps. It requires the knowledge of Java and optionally also some background in mobile development. The course is totally free, starts on January 21st and lasts for 8 weeks. It will cover subjects such as: the Android development environment, application fundamentals and lifecycle, permissions, fragments, intents, user interface, notifications, broadcast receivers, AsyncTasks, networking, graphics & animation, multitouch, gestures, multimedia, sensors, maps, data management and content providers. As you can see, there's quite a lot of material, so make sure you have 3-6 hours a week to spare. You can also follow the course at your own pace and skip the tests and assignments, but this way you'll not get a certificate at the end. Anyway, I encourage you to give it a try. Coursera courses are of very high quality and I expect this one to be great as well. Watch the video below for more details or just go to the official site, read more and sign up!


As to my Blobby Volley game, it has 5,114/13,382 current/total installs and it gets downloaded by more than 1,600 users every day. It's definitely my biggest success so far and I can't wait to learn what's going to happen with it in the near future. It has made me a little over $30 so far, but this amount is increasing fast and I'm sure it's going to grow even more. I've just published new bugfixes, and I implemented Ad Network Mediation to work with Airpush, Leadbolt and AdMob interstitials. I wanted to include AdBuddiz as well, but their API turned out to be somewhat difficult to integrate with the mediation API. I've already spoken to to one of their staff and they assured me that they would fix this in the new version. As there are no official mediation adapters for any of the networks I used, I had to write my own. There's almost no information about it on the Internet, so I'll try to describe it in detail in one of the next posts.

What else can you expect to appear on the blog in the near future? I'm planning to publish some more interviews, financial reports from Blobby Volley and my other apps, including CPMs from various ad networks and a new series of articles describing or comparing various development tools. Stay tuned and may the year 2014 be awesome for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment